[wpkg-users] windows 10
Andrea Zagli
2018-03-08 07:13:38 UTC
it seems that wpkg service doesn't work under windows 10

there's some tricks?
Jürgen Depicker
2018-03-08 13:09:17 UTC
it seems that wpkg service doesn't work under windows 10
there's some tricks?
[[JDE]]
Hello Andrea, this works perfectly fine I think. I use wpkg-gp, which runs at boot.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards/Meilleures salutations/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Jürgen

Andrea Zagli
2018-03-08 18:57:43 UTC
it seems that wpkg service doesn't work under windows 10
there's some tricks?
[[JDE]]
Hello Andrea, this works perfectly fine I think. I use wpkg-gp, which runs at boot.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards/Meilleures salutations/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Jürgen
ok i'll try... i'm using wpkg not wpkg-gp

i saw that wpkg service doesn't start, but wpkg javascript yes; so i
think i can make a service that call wpkg... or i'll try to rebuild
wpkg service
Frank Morawietz
2018-03-08 19:41:19 UTC
Hi Andrea,
Post by Andrea Zagli
Post by Jürgen Depicker
Post by Andrea Zagli
it seems that wpkg service doesn't work under windows 10
there's some tricks?
[[JDE]]
Hello Andrea, this works perfectly fine I think.  I use wpkg-gp, which
runs at boot.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards/Meilleures salutations/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Jürgen
ok i'll try... i'm using wpkg not wpkg-gp
i saw that wpkg service doesn't start, but wpkg javascript yes; so i think i
can make a service that call wpkg... or i'll try to rebuild wpkg service
wpkg service works fine under Windows 10 Home here.

You need to take care of some special behavior of Windows 10. By default
Windows 10 does not completely shut down when you shut it down. It's more
like hibernate/sleep mode. Wpkg service only runs during regular startup and
therefore it might run nearly never on Windows 10.

Because of this I created a small batch script that restarts the wpkg
service and I configured a task to run this script once per day. With this
trick wpkg works on Windows 10 for me like it did on Windows 7 before.

Hope this helps,
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz <***@gmail.com>
Andreas Schamanek
2018-03-08 22:51:12 UTC
Post by Frank Morawietz
wpkg service works fine under Windows 10 Home here.
I have it running on 1 Windows 10, too, without problems.
Unfortunately, I have no easy access to this machine, so I cannot
provide details. But the setup AFAIK was straight forward.
Post by Frank Morawietz
You need to take care of some special behavior of Windows 10. By
default Windows 10 does not completely shut down when you shut it
down. It's more like hibernate/sleep mode. Wpkg service only runs
during regular startup and therefore it might run nearly never on
Windows 10.
Because of this I created a small batch script that restarts the
wpkg service and I configured a task to run this script once per
day. With this trick wpkg works on Windows 10 for me like it did on
Windows 7 before.
That's a great idea! Do you happen to have some pointers for how to
add the task? Did you add it so that it runs as SYSTEM user? The
script is just `net stop/start` or did you have add some sleep?
--
-- Andreas

:-)

Frank Morawietz
2018-03-09 19:31:24 UTC
Hi Andreas,
Post by Frank Morawietz
You need to take care of some special behavior of Windows 10. By default
Windows 10 does not completely shut down when you shut it down. It's more
like hibernate/sleep mode. Wpkg service only runs during regular startup
and therefore it might run nearly never on Windows 10.
Because of this I created a small batch script that restarts the wpkg
service and I configured a task to run this script once per day. With this
trick wpkg works on Windows 10 for me like it did on Windows 7 before.
That's a great idea! Do you happen to have some pointers for how to add the
task? Did you add it so that it runs as SYSTEM user? The script is just `net
stop/start` or did you have add some sleep?
The task runs under an administrative user account.
It is configured like this in my German Windows version (rough translations
in brackets):

Tab Allgemein (General):
X Unabhängig von Benutzeranmeldung (independent from user login)

Tab Trigger:
Nach Zeitplan --> täglich --> 12:12:12 Uhr --> Verzögern für maximal 10
Minuten (With schedule --> daily --> 12:12:12 o'clock --> delay for max 10
minutes)

Tab Bedingungen (conditions):
[X] Nur bei bestehender Netzwerkverbindung (only when connected to the
network)

Tab Einstellungen (settings):
[X] Nachholen, wenn geplanter Start nicht stattgefunden hat (catch up if
not started as planned)

[If the system was not running at scheduled time, this ensures that
restarting the wpkg service is done 10 minutes after the computer is
switched on at any time.]

Tab Aktion (action):
[Path to local copy of batch script. Network share to wpkg files is not
connected, therefore use local copy.]

This description is for Windows 8, but Windows 10 should not be very different.

In the simple batch script I stop the service with

sc.exe stop WpkgService > NUL:

wait ten seconds and then I start it again with

sc.exe start WpkgService > NUL:

Best regards,
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz <***@gmail.com>
Andrea Zagli
2018-03-09 07:21:22 UTC
Post by Frank Morawietz
[...]
Post by Andrea Zagli
i saw that wpkg service doesn't start, but wpkg javascript yes; so i think i
can make a service that call wpkg... or i'll try to rebuild wpkg service
wpkg service works fine under Windows 10 Home here.
i'm using windows 10 pro under samba domain

the service start but it stops with

Script execution: failure. Exit code: 1

but, as i said, it works if i run the javascript with same parameters
from command line

but are you talking about wpkg or wpkg-gp?
Andrea Zagli
2018-03-09 07:28:07 UTC
Post by Andrea Zagli
Post by Frank Morawietz
[...]
Post by Andrea Zagli
i saw that wpkg service doesn't start, but wpkg javascript yes; so i think i
can make a service that call wpkg... or i'll try to rebuild wpkg service
wpkg service works fine under Windows 10 Home here.
i'm using windows 10 pro under samba domain
the service start but it stops with
Script execution: failure. Exit code: 1
but, as i said, it works if i run the javascript with same
parameters from command line
but are you talking about wpkg or wpkg-gp?
another strange thing: i enabled debug log, the service starts, writes
some row in the log file and than it crashes saying that it cannot
access to file (!?!?!?!?!)

Program Files\wpkg\wpkg.log-> Access denied.
Frank Morawietz
2018-03-09 19:37:04 UTC
Hi Andrea,
Post by Andrea Zagli
i'm using windows 10 pro under samba domain
the service start but it stops with
Script execution: failure. Exit code: 1
but, as i said, it works if i run the javascript with same parameters from
command line
but are you talking about wpkg or wpkg-gp?
I am talking about wpkg.
another strange thing: i enabled debug log, the service starts, writes some
row in the log file and than it crashes saying that it cannot access to file
(!?!?!?!?!)
Program Files\wpkg\wpkg.log-> Access denied.
Your description sound like file access rights problems to me.
Assumption: When you run it interactive, you use an administrative account,
if run as a service, it runs as SYSTEM user.

Is the system user allowed to write to Program Files\wpkg\ ? Can you place
the log file somewhere else, where everybody is allowed to write?

Best,
Frank
--
Frank Morawietz <***@gmail.com>
Andrea Zagli
2018-03-12 07:39:40 UTC
Post by Frank Morawietz
[...]
another strange thing: i enabled debug log, the service starts, writes some
row in the log file and than it crashes saying that it cannot access to file
(!?!?!?!?!)
Program Files\wpkg\wpkg.log-> Access denied.
Your description sound like file access rights problems to me.
Assumption: When you run it interactive, you use an administrative account,
if run as a service, it runs as SYSTEM user.
Is the system user allowed to write to Program Files\wpkg\ ? Can you place
the log file somewhere else, where everybody is allowed to write?
as i wrote: the file is created and it is written with few row; after
that wpkg stops with "access denied"

the service runs as local system user; i tried to change to
Administrator but i got the same error

wpkg service is setted to run the javascript as an user that is in the
administrators group

the log is in "program files\wpkg"; i tried to change to a new
directory and the "access denied" error disappears

and in log i have, if i use "local system user"

"Script execution: failure. Exit code: 1"

or using "Administrator" (or other administrator"

"CreateProcess -> the requested privilege does not belong to the client"

(i don't know if the translation is right; i have the last message in italian)
Stefan Pendl
2018-03-12 07:56:41 UTC
Post by Andrea Zagli
as i wrote: the file is created and it is written with few row; after
that wpkg stops with "access denied"
With Windows 10 the service handling has changed drastically and WPKG
client has not been updated to support this.

A service is not just started and stopped anymore, it must also
periodically notify the service management that it is still alive.

The notification was not necessary before, so Windows thinks the service
is hung and kills it.
--
*Stefan P.*

Top-posting:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Nils Thiele
2018-03-13 09:31:00 UTC
Why not use WPKG-GP?
It works fine on windows 10 besides the bootup execution which may not
work on the Home Edition. But you could easly get arround this using a
logon script i guess which use the pipeclient to execute manually.
Post by Stefan Pendl
Post by Andrea Zagli
as i wrote: the file is created and it is written with few row; after
that wpkg stops with "access denied"
With Windows 10 the service handling has changed drastically and WPKG
client has not been updated to support this.
A service is not just started and stopped anymore, it must also
periodically notify the service management that it is still alive.
The notification was not necessary before, so Windows thinks the
service is hung and kills it.
--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg