[wpkg-users] "Database Inconsistency: Package with ID x does not exist..." But it Does Exist
James Arnold
2017-11-27 13:17:38 UTC
Hello everyone,

First off, to whoever's reading, thanks loads for the work on wpkg! Just
getting to grips with a system I've inherited at the moment and I've hit a
snag. Please be gentle!

Okay, client deploys all historic packages except for the new one I've just
done. That's "claroreadse7.xml" below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<packages>

<package
id="ClaroReadSE7.2.38"
name="ClaroReadSE7.2.38"
revision="1"
reboot="false"
priority="10">

<check type="file" condition="exists" path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Claro
Software\ClaroRead SE\ClaroUp.exe" />

<!-- <install cmd="%SOFTWARE%\ClaroReadSE7\claro.bat" /> -->
<install cmd='msiexec.exe /qn /i
"%SOFTWARE%\ClaroReadSE7\01\ClaroReadSE-7.2.38-auth\ClaroReadSE-engb-7.2.38-auth-X.msi"
LICENCEKEY=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx /passive /norestart' />
<install cmd='msiexec.exe /qn /i
"%SOFTWARE%\ClaroReadSE7\01\ClaroReadSE-7.2.38-auth\VA25-BritishEnglish-Serena.msi"
/passive /norestart' />
<!-- <upgrade cmd="%SOFTWARE%\ClaroReadSE7\claro.bat >
c:\clarobatupgrade.log" /> -->

<remove cmd='msiexec.exe /qn /x
"%SOFTWARE%\ClaroReadSE7\01\ClaroReadSE-7.2.38-auth\ClaroReadSE-engb-7.2.38-auth-X.msi"
/passive /norestart' />
<exit code="0"/>
<exit code="2"/>
</remove>

</package>

This doesn't install on my test client, which (in AppLog) complains of
"Database inconsistency: Package with ID 'claroreadse7' does not exist
within the package database or the local settings file. Please contact your
system administrator!"

But there is 100% certainly a "claroreadse7.xml" in the packages folder
with the rest of the packages, with the same rights as all the other .xml
files in there.

Anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any and all help! :)

</packages>
Ulli Conrad
2017-11-27 13:25:12 UTC
Hi James,
    <package
id="ClaroReadSE7.2.38"
        name="ClaroReadSE7.2.38"
        revision="1"
You mixed up id and version, separate version from package-id e.g.

<package
id="ClaroReadSE"
name="ClaroReadSE"
version="7.2.38"
[...]

KInd regards

- Ulli -
Paul McGrath
2017-11-27 13:26:48 UTC
Hi James
Have you defined the packages in the profile xmls?

I’ve a profile xml called software.xml and have all my packages listed explicitly in there:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<profiles>

<profile id="limm4dV11shortcuts">
<package package-id="4dV11shortcuts" />
</profile>

<profile id="4dV11_8">
<package package-id="4dV11_8" />
</profile>

<profile id="remove4dV11">
<package package-id="remove4dV11" />
</profile>
<profile id="limm4d">
<package package-id="4d" />
</profile>

<profile id="4dV12">
<package package-id="4dV12" />
</profile>

<profile id="4d">
<package package-id="4d" />
</profile>

<profile id="7500pcr">
<package package-id="7500pcr" />
</profile>
<profile id="syllabusplus">
<package package-id="syllabusplus"/>
</profile>

<profile id="syncback">
<package package-id="syncback"/>
</profile>

<profile id="tableau">
<package package-id="tableau" />
</profile>

<profile id="timelapseanalyser">
<package package-id="timelapseanalyser" />
</profile>

<profile id="tipp10">
<package package-id="tipp10" />
</profile>

<profile id="toxwiz">
<package package-id="toxwiz" />
</profile>

<profile id="tracedrawer">
<package package-id="tracedrawer" />
</profile>

/profiles>

[...]

<remove cmd='msiexec.exe /qn /x "%SOFTWARE%\ClaroReadSE7\01\ClaroReadSE-7.2.38-auth\ClaroReadSE-engb-7.2.38-auth-X.msi" /passive /norestart' />

</packages>
James Arnold
2017-11-27 13:59:27 UTC
Thanks Ulli and Paul!

Okay, I've changed those fields above, still not getting it installed
though.

Yes it's in the correct position/OU and defined in profiles.xml

Same message in client's AppLog: Database inconsistency: Package with ID
'claroreadse7' does not exist within the package database or the local
settings file. Please contact your system administrator!

Cheers both again,

--
*James Arnold - Network Manager*
*Longhill High School*
*BN2 7FR*
Paul McGrath
2017-11-27 14:04:29 UTC

You’ve named it ‘ <package id="ClaroReadSE7.2.38" but it is referenced in the error as ‘claroreadse7’

Lose the .2.38 from the package id in both the package and profile xml

BN2 7FR
Paul McGrath
2017-11-27 14:26:22 UTC
Also you’ve mixed case naming. Make the package and profile name lower case

BN2 7FR
Dave Evans
2017-11-27 14:34:41 UTC
James: just to be clear
and you may have got it working by now as others have commented, but the
explanation may help
you say in the title:
""Database Inconsistency: Package with ID x does not exist..." But it
Does Exist"
it doesn't exist, hence the error :-)

you have defined in your profile that a package called "claroreadse7"
should be installed
I'm guessing that you have created a file called "claroreadse7.xml"
in that file you have created a package definition with an id of
"ClaroReadSE7.2.38"

first of all WPKG is blind to the filename of the .xml files, you could
have called it boris.xml and it would have worked just as well (or badly)
WPKG reads all the contents of all the .xml files it can find, and puts
them all together, the filenames themselves are not important.
there are only two things which need to line up:
  * the name you called it in the profile.xml file  (or a file in the
/profiles folder)
  * and the id in a package definition
so if you've called it "claroreadse7" in your profiles file:
then your package needs to start:

    <package
        id="claroreadse7"
        name="ClaroReadSE7.2.38"
        revision="1"
        reboot="false"
        priority="10">

I'm not sure if the package ID is case sensitive but I always preserve
the case - just in case.
the above should get your package working

even better style might be this:
    <package
        id="claroreadse7"
        name="ClaroReadSE"
        revision="%version%"
        reboot="false"
        priority="10">

        <variable name="version" value="7.2.38" />

then you just need to update the version line when there's a new version
to deploy, and everything just works.
the "name" is just a description, useful in reports.

by default I believe WPKG should be creating a log file in SYSTEM's
%temp% (probably c:\windows\temp) which you can inspect.
if you find and amend this line in config.xml you can force it to create
the log file in the root of c:\ on each system

        <param name='log_file_path' value='%SystemDrive%' />

the file will likely be called wpkg-[HOSTNAME].log

Happy wpkg-ing

Dave
Hi,
You’ve named it ‘    <package id="ClaroReadSE7.2.38" but it is
referenced in the error as ‘claroreadse7’
Lose the .2.38 from the package id in both the package and profile xml
Behalf Of *James Arnold
James Arnold
2017-11-27 15:12:32 UTC
Gosh that was mega helpful, thanks for taking the time on that Dave.

Right, that's been amended as per, but still wasn't working.

However I *did* find that (with the help of an xml verifier) that my remove
tag didn't end correctly. I've changed that now, but it was checking out
that local log file that steered me right to it, so thanks again hugely for
that too!

Just so I know I understand then (sorry if this has been painful everyone!)
the .xml file for the package itself (eg msoffice.xml, chrome.xml) I can
call anything at all. What matters is, in the file itself, the
<package></package> section has the id=boris SO LONG AS in profiles.xml
I've a section under the relevant OU for <package package-id="boris" />

I *think* I'm there now. Thanks much to everyone!

*BN2 7FR*
Adam Thorn
2017-11-27 19:17:13 UTC
everyone!) the .xml file for the package itself (eg msoffice.xml,
chrome.xml) I can call anything at all. What matters is, in the file
itself, the <package></package> section has the id=boris SO LONG AS in
profiles.xml I've a section under the relevant OU for <package
package-id="boris" />
There are a few different ways of defining your packages. You can use a
single packages.xml file:

https://wpkg.org/Packages.xml#packages.xml_structure

which has the overall structure

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<packages>

<package id="foo" ...>
<!-- define package foo here -->
</package>

<package id="bar" ...>
<!-- define package bar here -->
</package>

<!-- keep going with as many package elements as you like -->

</packages>

But that rapidly becomes difficult to manage, so you might instead split
your package definitions into multiple files inside a packages/ directory:

https://wpkg.org/Packages.xml#Individual_XML_package_files

and it sounds like that's what you have. But as you say, all that
matters is the attributes within the contents of the XML, and the
software you assign to a host in profiles.xml..

https://wpkg.org/Profiles.xml

need to have "package-id" attributes matching the "id" attribute in your
<package> elements. Note that you can split up your profiles.xml file
into multiple files in just the same way that packages.xml can be split.
And to complete the set, hosts.xml (which defines how the profiles from
profiles.xml get assigned to a particular host) can be split in much the
same way:

https://wpkg.org/Hosts.xml

Yet another possibility is to get packages.xml (or profiles.xml or
hosts.xml) from a webserver by suitably defining settings such as
web_packages_file_name and wpkg_base in your config.xml:

https://wpkg.org/Config.xml

The config.xml provided with wpkg is well-commented and reading the
default version that ships with wpkg is the best way to see the options
(as yours might have been locally altered!). This is what I do, mainly
because all our info about hosts and profiles ties in to a local
database, so we query that via PHP and dynamically generate the hosts
and profile XML contents as needed.

Adam
James Arnold