[wpkg-users] VLC 2.2.2 win32 on x64
Andreas Schamanek
2016-02-10 16:34:47 UTC
Hi fellow wpkg'ers,

The update for VLC 2.2.2 (haven't tried earlier versions with wpkg,
though) failed on my Windows 7 test machines. And it seems that
vlc-2.2.2-win32.exe does not or not always install on x64 Windows 7.
Once I changed the .xml to install the x64 it worked.

Symptoms I saw: Installer always returned 0, but VLC was not
installed. On one machine I tried to run it manually and
interactively. Then it bailed out telling me an instance of VLC was
running and had to be quit.
--
-- Andreas

:-)

Marco Gaiarin
2016-02-11 10:15:14 UTC
Mandi! Andreas Schamanek
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Andreas Schamanek
Symptoms I saw: Installer always returned 0, but VLC was not
installed. On one machine I tried to run it manually and
interactively. Then it bailed out telling me an instance of VLC was
running and had to be quit.
I've just upgraded to 2.2.2 (32bit, on x64 windows 7) and i've got no
trouble at all.

But i remove ald VLC before installing new one... my recipe attached.
--
dott. Marco Gaiarin GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia'' http://www.sv.lnf.it/

http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/25/index.php/component/k2/item/123
Jon Rhoades
2016-02-11 10:47:45 UTC
Hey,

The VLC installer is pretty terrible and as you can see from the wiki there are many different approaches to getting it working.

Personally, I just gave up and downloaded the VLC zip file, which I then package myself in Inno Setup - so I know that the install and uninstaller will work reliably every time.

Cheers Jon
--
Jon Rhoades
Information Technology Manager

St Vincent's Institute
9 Princes St Fitzroy Vic 3065
p: 03 9288 2399 | f: 03 9416 2676

www.svi.edu.au

Andreas Schamanek
2016-02-11 16:58:26 UTC
Post by Marco Gaiarin
But i remove ald VLC before installing new one... my recipe
attached.
Thanks, mine does essentially the same.
Post by Marco Gaiarin
The VLC installer is pretty terrible and as you can see from the
wiki there are many different approaches to getting it working.
Yep, however, the wiki page so far sticks to the 32bit version.

I dunno why it failed on my PCs. But switching to x64 is anyway
recommended in the long run, I guess.
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Personally, I just gave up and downloaded the VLC zip file, which I
then package myself in Inno Setup - so I know that the install and
uninstaller will work reliably every time.
I was also thinking about just copying the files. After all, that's
what I did for years before I started using WPKG.
--
-- Andreas

:-)

Marco Gaiarin
2016-02-11 17:17:41 UTC
Mandi! Andreas Schamanek
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Andreas Schamanek
Yep, however, the wiki page so far sticks to the 32bit version.
I dunno why it failed on my PCs. But switching to x64 is anyway
recommended in the long run, I guess.
I'm now switched to 64bit, too, because i've noted that VLC 64bit does
not have plugins for 32bit browsers (eg, firefox). Rarely used but...

Some month ago there was a package that contains the 32bit pligins, but
i was not able to find now.

Also, i've not found *ANY* documentation about 32/64bit VLC, so i
supposed 64bit was something a little more then a beta.

If someone have some more info...

Andreas Schamanek
2016-02-12 10:45:39 UTC
Hi fellow wpkg'ers,
The update for VLC 2.2.2 (...) failed on my Windows 7 test machines.
And it seems that vlc-2.2.2-win32.exe does not or not always install
on x64 Windows 7. Once I changed the .xml to install the x64 it
worked.
I was wrong. The problem apparently is that the 32bit version causes
troubles on both architectures. Even on x86 it tells me that a VLC
process is running, and then the installers ends. No idea why.

Sorry for the noise. This is not even WPKG related :/
--
-- Andreas

Andreas Schamanek
2016-02-12 14:29:55 UTC
The problem apparently is that the 32bit version causes troubles on
both architectures. Even on x86 it tells me that a VLC process is
running, and then the installers ends. No idea why.
Thanks to Heiko Helmle, who contacted me off-list, the problem is
resolved: I had renamed the installer to vlc.exe. So, the installer
rightfully detected a running vlc.exe process, and hence terminated
itself. Using any other name or the original name vlc-2.2.2-win32.exe
works just fine.

Thanks a lot Heiko!
--
-- Andreas