[wpkg-users] About Discord server
Paul Rock
2017-10-07 12:02:05 UTC
Falko Trojahn
2017-10-13 18:12:43 UTC
Hello Paul,

there are lots of people using WPKG every day. If you would make clear
what problems you have with it (if any?), you could get support here
on the mailing list for sure.

Wpkg is feature complete and as nobody seems to have issues with it,
there's no need to build unneeded features or make updates just for
fun.

Please read Rainer's explanation e.g. here
http://wpkg-users.wpkg.narkive.com/3H2UHN2a/ghostware

If there are issues with Wpkg-Client or Wpkg-GP, which are contributions
to the wpkg project, you could just contact their authors, or ask
on this list, too.

Have a look at the growing silent installers list at wpkg.org, too
https://wpkg.org/Special:AllPages - not every installer must be
there with it's latest version number, as each should be adapted
to your local needs.

Best regards,
Falko
Hello the community!
After a brief conversation with Daniel Högele and Brian White, and also
checked the repositories and read some part of the archives of the
community, I came to the conclusion that the WPKG project is in the
dying state and this is a very bad, because the WPKG at this moment is
still the ONLY ONE completed system for installing software on many
workstations (with windows).
Therefore, I want to invite those who are still interested in the WPKG
project on the Discord server, here https://discord.gg/vRjVfHK is the
invitation.
I hope for the further development of this wonderful project!
--
Best regards, Paul Rock
Twitter: https://twitter.com/EvilFreelancer
Chris
2017-10-13 19:35:23 UTC
Hello Falk,
Hello everyone,

I fully agree to everything that you're saying. WPKG is relatively
stable and feature-complete (I guess that's what many users appreciate,
including myself).

However, there are still open issues and there hasn't been any activity
on the SVN repo in the last 12 months. Contribution to WPKG core seems
possible (there's the SVN repo, this mailing list and the bug tracker,
which at least had some activity in 2017). But contribution isn't
straight forward. I think it could be benefitial to move the SVN sources
and bugtracker issues to github.com. This would allow anyone to
contribute in a more easy, familiar way. Which might encourage more
users to contribute.

Where would be the best place to make such a suggestion and would the
WPKG founders/project leads be willing to think about/consider it?

Best,
Chris
Stefan Pendl
2017-10-14 09:36:44 UTC
Post by Chris
However, there are still open issues and there hasn't been any activity
on the SVN repo in the last 12 months. Contribution to WPKG core seems
possible (there's the SVN repo, this mailing list and the bug tracker,
which at least had some activity in 2017). But contribution isn't
straight forward. I think it could be benefitial to move the SVN sources
and bugtracker issues to github.com. This would allow anyone to
contribute in a more easy, familiar way. Which might encourage more
users to contribute.
Why should I register on another site, just to have things added that I
might not even need?
I have seen projects moving from one source repository to another and
finally they vanished. I would like to avoid this for WPKG from a users
point of view.
--
*Stefan P.*

Top-posting:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Chris
2017-10-14 11:50:33 UTC
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your opinion on this.
Post by Stefan Pendl
Why should I register on another site, just to have things added that
I might not even need?
Github makes everything *easier* and more transparent, especially for
new contributors but IMHO also the project maintainers. No need to
handle a legacy VCS and generate patches that need to get attached to
issues in a seaprate bugtracker system, where someone needs to pick them
up by hand for review.

Or to say it with the word of Linus Tovalds: "Project hosting used to be
painful, and with git and GitHub it’s just so trivial to do a [...]
small project."
Post by Stefan Pendl
I have seen projects moving from one source repository to another and
finally they vanished. I would like to avoid this for WPKG from a
users point of view.
I think this has more to do with the fact if a project has been actively
maintained or not. Most legacy platforms for source repositories have
been discontinued (i.e. Google Code, Microsoft CodePlex, etc) and with
them a large number of "unmaintained" projects where no one cared to
move them somewhere else. For some reason sourceforge is still there,
but it's in a bad shape (ads everywhere, has been down for several days
earlier this year) and the whole SVN workflow seems clunky and it's just
not what people are used to these days.

My point is: The git and github flow could make it easier for new users
to contribute, which could help to gain more contribution for the
project by its users. And also for the project maintainers to keep up
once there are more merge requests than today. A move of the sources and
the issues shouldn't be too hard.

Best,
Chris
Paul Rock