[wpkg-users] User GUI for WPKG-GP
Nils Thiele
2016-08-09 10:47:41 UTC

I have written a small GUI for WPKG-GP which allows normal Users to
upgrade their System. The Programm resides in the System Tray and can
inform users of pending updates and if choosen run the wpkg-gp
background service to upgrade their system with a small progress bar and
option to view log (Windows System Logs get filtered) after the process
is done. It is tested and works on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10.

For updates notifications it uses a special xml file that will be
downloaded in a selectable interval and only includes the package ids
and versions, which then will be compared to the local wpkg.xml. i have
a small tool which will generate these quickly, even with nested
variables for the revision value.

I have also added a few more features like automatic shutdown after
upgrades and VPN detection (Cisco AnyConnect Client), im currently in
the process of writing a documentation for every option and feature.

I also needed to modify WPKG-GP a bit and added an option to Execute
WPKG without rebooting even if a forced reboot is configured in the
wpkg-gp ini file (I still want those reboots if wpkg is run at startup).
Another Addition i made was integrating a blacklist that will be checked
before executing and allows you to block a specific client. This allows
you to easily disable wpkg remotely even if wpkg-gp is applied through
local GPOs (like in our department).

The program is written in python/wxpython and i dont mind sharing the
source code but because it uses snippets from other projects (like
wpkg-gp) i have to sort out some licensing stuff before releasing this
officially.

It is also only available in german language right now but if there is
demand for something like this i would implemented english as well as
some language file system for further modifications. There is no built
installer yet either.

If anyone is intrested in trying i can supply a compiled version and the
source code. Any feedback would be helpfull.

Greetings,

Nils
--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg

Tomasz Chmielewski
2016-08-10 02:40:27 UTC
Post by Nils Thiele
The program is written in python/wxpython and i dont mind sharing the
source code but because it uses snippets from other projects (like
wpkg-gp) i have to sort out some licensing stuff before releasing this
officially.
I think it would be nice to start it as a new project on github?

The description is interesting, but of course more people would be
interested if they could see the screenshots and download the program
from the internet.
Nils Thiele
2016-08-10 11:20:24 UTC
Hey,
i have created a fork of wpkg-gp and a new repository for my application:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client

i also added first binary releases for both of them but they arent that
usefull yet because i didnt have the time to write a documentation.

My wpkg-gp fork should compile and install like the old one, and also
"shouldn't" break anything but since i have only tested this version in
a small test environment i cant promise anything.

In the wpkg-gp-client repository you can find some screenshot of the
application running and of course try it yourself if you download the
release, installation instruction can be found in an example wpkg
package
(https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/blob/master/tools/wpkg_pkg_example.xml)

I hope to find the time in the next days to add a basic documentation so
other people can start testing this without having to find out
everything by them self.
Post by Nils Thiele
It is also only available in german language right now but if there is
demand for something like this i would implemented english as well as
some language file system for further modifications. There is no built
installer yet either.
If anyone is intrested in trying i can supply a compiled version and
the source code. Any feedback would be helpfull.
Tomasz Chmielewski
--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg
Flügelbau West, R. 204
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1
D-20146 Hamburg
Tel.: +49-40-42838-3024
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de

Nils Thiele
2016-08-12 12:56:57 UTC

I have just put up a new test release with multilanguage support:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/releases/tag/v0.9.4

The new default language is english and only a german translation atm.
I would love to get some feedback on this as english is not my native
language.
You can find the gnutext pot file here:
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/blob/master/WPKG-GP-Client.pot
This can also be used to create further translation (with Poedit for
example)

I have added a bit more info to the release so others can start testing
this if you have any questions feel free to ask.
I will add a more in depth documentation to the github wiki soon.

PS: This only works with my wpkg-gp built:
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases/tag/v0.17.9
It uses a different command to execute wpkg-gp without reboots
which the normal release wont understand.

Best Regards,
Nils
Hi Nils,
Greetings from Melbourne, Australia!
I've had a quick look at your project and it I think it is great! I'd
love to use it on our WPKG fleet of PCs. If you need any assistance
with the English translations, I would be happy to help.
Best Regards
Jon
--
Jon Rhoades
Information Technology Manager
Post by Nils Thiele
It is also only available in german language right now but if there is
demand for something like this i would implemented english as well as
some language file system for further modifications. There is no built
installer yet either.
If anyone is intrested in trying i can supply a compiled version and
the source code. Any feedback would be helpfull.
Tomasz Chmielewski
--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
UniversitÀt Hamburg
FlÃŒgelbau West, R. 204
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1
D-20146 Hamburg
Tel.: +49-40-42838-3024
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de
Nils Thiele
2016-08-16 13:17:31 UTC
Hey,

i have finished a first draft of the installation and usage guide on the
github wiki:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/wiki/Installation-and-Usage

It contains a detailed installation and configuration guide as well as a
lot of screenshots and descriptions of the GUI in action.

With this i hope everyone who wants it, is able to start testing this on
their own systems and i can get some first feedback.

I have also updated a few other things but not enough for a new binary
release, the available version right now should be enough for testing.

Next up on my list is a small guide on how to modify the program (change
dialogs and help text) as well as adding a small guide on compiling this
on your own.

If you find any issues please report them on the github page.

Best Regards,

Nils
Hi,
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de
Nils Thiele
2016-08-23 14:57:24 UTC
Hey,

I finished creating a precompiled installer in the last few days, no
more complex registry modifications. Everything is handled by the
installer now (and of course reverted if uninstalled). This also allows
the client to be updated in the background, even if it is running at the
moment.

You can get the latest test release here:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/releases

I also updated the wiki with the information to deploy the Client with wpkg:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/wiki/Installation-and-Usage

Besides that i finally add builds for both x64 and x86 for my wpkg-gp
modification:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases

(The Client wont work with the normal WPKG-GP release)

Next up will be a small tutorial to customize the client (translations
and other message modifications), i hope to finish this later this week.

Feedback is always welcome.

Best Regards,

Nils
Post by Nils Thiele
[...]
Hi,
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de
Nils Thiele
2016-09-07 12:35:48 UTC
Hey,
I have just uploaded my latest release to the github page (0.9.6.6):
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/releases

I think i have ironed out most bugs and disabled the debug console
window because of this.

This release depends on the latest version of my wpkg-gp modification:
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases/tag/v0.17.11

Both programs are tested on several systems in our organisation (windows
7 to windows 10) and even different language settings,
but i should still mention that this shouldnt be used in production
right away and you should test it in your environment before that.

Check out the wiki on github:
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/wiki
I should have added all the necessary information to get this running on
your systems.

If you encounter any errors please report them on github.

Hope to get some feedback on this soon :)

Best Regards,
Nils

2016-09-09 06:58:37 UTC
Hello Nils,

just a stupid question: Did you merge the bugfixes that went into
wpkg-gp-18b1 into your fork? there were two fixes, one was kinda
important...

I'm asking because i'm obviously not capable of reading github properly :)

Best Regards

Heiko

From: Nils Thiele <***@uni-hamburg.de>
To: "wpkg-***@lists.wpkg.org" <wpkg-***@lists.wpkg.org>
Date: 07.09.2016 14:36
Sent by: "wpkg-users" <wpkg-users-***@lists.wpkg.org>

2016-09-09 07:50:49 UTC
Hello again,

nevermind my previous question, i actually found it myself.

I really like the little tray gui. A few questions on the approach:

Using a special XML with just the version brings a few little problems:

* it ignores changes to profiles and hosts
* it ignores any changes that actually depend on advanced mechanisms of
package matching (architecture, dependencies, extended matches) that may
change in updated packages.

what would you think of - instead of generating a special file and parsing
that - just leave the package matching mechanics up to wpkg.js - that
would mean:

* modifying wpkg-gp to be able to execute wpkg.js in Query-Mode (for
example 'cscript /NoLogo /E:Jscript !SCRIPTPATH! /synchronize /query:uI'
will output a list of all packages wpkg will update or install on the next
run - this is the statement i use on my little wpkg-notification
batchfile)
* then communicate that list to wpkg-gp-client to display it.
* bonus points if the resulting list could be filtered for packages you
don't want the user to be nagged with.

That way you eliminated the need for a special file and the extra step of
generating it. And you don't have to maintain the logic for determining
the update list because wpkg.js already does that anyway.

And you still wouldn't need user permissions on the wpkg share because
wpkg-gp is doing the query.

What's you opinion?

Best Regards
Heiko

Nils Thiele
2016-09-09 09:07:24 UTC
Hey Heiko,

My fork is based on the latest git version so it should be 0.18b1, but i
think you figured that out allready.

Regarding the generated update xml:

We have quite the uniform structure regarding os and software in our
organisation so i didnt really thought about this problem. I had the
idea you mentioned (using wpkg to query the updates) before but i
ditched it because i didnt wanted to mess with wpkg-gp in any way when i
started the project.
Since i ended up creating my own fork anyway this is a good idea and it
would also fix the problem of not being able to query newly installed
packages, tho i wonder how big the impact on the wpkg server would be if
you do this i alot (im not an expert on this topic).

I will definatly look into this but it will take a bit longer since i
have to mess more with other peoples code :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Best Regards,
Nils
Post by h***@horiba.com
[...]
09.09.2016 08:59
Re: [wpkg-users]
User GUI for WPKG-GP
"wpkg-users"
From: Nils
Date: 07.09.2016
14:36
[wpkg-users] User GUI for WPKG-GP
Sent by: "wpkg-users"
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de
Falko Trojahn
2016-09-13 11:12:44 UTC
Hello Nils,

first: many thanx for your efforts - your "taskbar updater" is the tool
we ever wanted, but never asked for ;)
Post by Nils Thiele
We have quite the uniform structure regarding os and software in our
organisation so i didnt really thought about this problem. I had the
idea you mentioned (using wpkg to query the updates) before but i
ditched it because i didnt wanted to mess with wpkg-gp in any way
when
i started the project.
The creation of the packages.xml is the problem here, too - we'd need
run the python script on our samba server; the
create_the_package_ver.exe
even produces an error here on our windows 7 test client:

Y:\packages\wpkg-gp-client\create_pkg_ver_list2>create_pkg_ver_list.exe
-f Y:\ -o test.xml

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "create_pkg_ver_list.py", line 83, in <module>

File "create_pkg_ver_list.py", line 44, in create_package_list

File "<string>", line 62, in parse

File "<string>", line 38, in parse

cElementTree.ParseError: undefined entity &tb-extension;: line 2,
column 10

Failed to execute script create_pkg_ver_list

Is there a way to get a log of this run - e.g. to see which of
our xml files leads to this error? Wait, I see: the "undefined entity"
error
comes from the "templating way" xmls for the thunderbird extensions.
Post by Nils Thiele
Since i ended up creating my own fork anyway this is a good idea and
it would also fix the problem of not being able to query newly
installed packages, tho i wonder how big the impact on the wpkg
server
would be if you do this i alot (im not an expert on this topic).
I will definatly look into this but it will take a bit longer since i
have to mess more with other peoples code :)
From time to time we check the correct install/update/removes of all
clients using "wpkgCreateReport" .js tool from "gig mbh Berlin".
May be this could be another way to create the packages.xml server
side,
since the information provided is per client - perhaps a good starting
point.

Nevertheless, the "wpkg.js /query" way is IMHO the way to go, even
if it is run locally once an hour or twice a day this would be
sufficient
and should not give too much load on the server.
Post by Nils Thiele
Thanks for the feedback!
on this page
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/wiki/Installation-and-Usage
the link to

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/blob/master/wpkg-gp_client.ini
gives a 404 error ...

Best regards,
Falko

Nils Thiele
2016-09-13 12:39:12 UTC
Hello Falko,

No problem :)

Yeah i guess there are many more bugs in the updatefile generator cause
there are so many more options for packages
that i may have never used in our organisation and so there is no
support for them.

Besides that there is also no error logging implemented.

BUT....

Implemeting the query function (for updates, installs, downgrades and
removes) into wpkg-gp was way easier than i thought.
Fixed a bug in wpkg-gp as well that i stumbled upon a few times allready
in the past that always bugged me.

I allready have a running version of the client to parse this new
information but not sure yet how to display it since the windows
notifications bubbles are quite limited. (formatting text) would have
loved to color them depending on the task but this is not possible and
creating my own notifications in wxpython create all kinds of other
problems.

Anyway, expect a test release with the updated wpkg-gp and client later
this week!

Best Regards,

Nils
Post by Nils Thiele
Since i ended up creating my own fork anyway this is a good idea and
it would also fix the problem of not being able to query newly
installed packages, tho i wonder how big the impact on the wpkg
server
would be if you do this i alot (im not an expert on this topic).
I will definatly look into this but it will take a bit longer since i
have to mess more with other peoples code :)
From time to time we check the correct install/update/removes of all
clients using "wpkgCreateReport" .js tool from "gig mbh Berlin".
May be this could be another way to create the packages.xml server
side,
since the information provided is per client - perhaps a good starting
point.
Nevertheless, the "wpkg.js /query" way is IMHO the way to go, even
if it is run locally once an hour or twice a day this would be
sufficient
and should not give too much load on the server.
Post by Nils Thiele
Thanks for the feedback!
on this page

Falko Trojahn
2016-09-13 16:40:27 UTC
Hello Nils,

thanx for your quick answer.
Post by Nils Thiele
BUT....
Implemeting the query function (for updates, installs, downgrades and
removes) into wpkg-gp was way easier than i thought.
Fixed a bug in wpkg-gp as well that i stumbled upon a few times
allready in the past that always bugged me.
I allready have a running version of the client to parse this new
information but not sure yet how to display it since the windows
notifications bubbles are quite limited. (formatting text) would have
loved to color them depending on the task but this is not possible and
creating my own notifications in wxpython create all kinds of other
problems.
Anyway, expect a test release with the updated wpkg-gp and client
later this week!
That's really great news!

While you are working on the gp client ... today I've stumbled upon
several clients which don't start the pipe client, neither
from local nor from remote via winexe.

The message is:

Error when generating pipe handle: Das System kann die angegebene Datei
nicht finden.

We start it like this, on most client this works:

/usr/bin/winexe --interactive=0 -A /etc/backuppc/winpw //PCNAME '\''cmd
/c "c:\Program Files\Wpkg-GP\WpkgPipeClient.exe" Execute'\'' <&-

Same message when starting locally from administrator cmd box, e.g.:

"c:\Program Files\Wpkg-GP\WpkgPipeClient.exe" Execute

Any idea, what's causing this and how we could go around that?

Thanx and greetings
Falko
Nils Thiele
2016-09-14 09:34:41 UTC
Nils Thiele
2016-09-16 10:53:20 UTC
Hello,

I have just uploaded a new test release for the latest version of the
client:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/releases/tag/v0.9.6.9

This version supports the new query function i integrated in my latest
wpkg-gp update for update checking.

THIS is a prerelease and a console window is activated to show python
exceptions, also the info texts and messages are not finalized yet.

Please check the updated project WIKI for the updated configuration
information:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp-client/wiki/Installation-and-Usage#configuration

Best Regards,
Nils
Post by Nils Thiele
Hello Falko,
That Error ussually only appears if the WPKG-GP service is not running
in the background,
the client (or wpkgpipeclient) tries to write to the pipe (that the
service should have created while its running) and it fails.
What version of wpkg-gp are we talking about, official or mine
modification?
First check if the service is installed and running (services.msc), the
display name of the service is "WPKG Control Service"
If it is installed but not started try to start it manually (right click
-> Start) and check the wpkg-gp log to see what is reported in
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Wpkg-Gp\logs\", it it starts you could then try to run
the pipeclient again.
If this is the problem (Service not starting) than its hard to determine
what is causing the service from starting (if nothing appears in the
log). I would first try to remove wpkg-gp completely (check also
registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wpkg-Gp ), reboot the system and then try to
install it again.
I had some problems with service not starting in the past that were
caused by some official boot boost software by the hardware vendor of
the machine (Lenovo and Rapid Boot in this case), the problem affected
the vpn service not starting after every reboot, wpkg-gp was not
installed on those system but i could imagine that it could have been
affected by this as well
Hope this may help you.
Greetings,
Nils
Post by h***@horiba.com
Hello Nils,
thanx for your quick answer.

Christian
2016-09-28 20:42:45 UTC

I just tried out the recent modifications to wpkg-gp and the new client.
When I try "System update", it correctly installs all the updates.
However, when I click "Check for updates", it says "No updates
available" after running for a while. A correct wpkg log file is also
generated. I will send the output of

WpkgPipeClient.exe Query

via separate email, as I suppose that it is an issue with the ouput
parsing. Thanks for your work,

Christian
Post by Nils Thiele
[...]
Post by h***@horiba.com
Hello Nils,
thanx for your quick answer.
Christian
2016-10-02 08:59:12 UTC
Hi all,

for the record, the reason turned out to be that I was calling a wrapper
script for wpkg.js from wpkg-gp, and the wrapper script was not passing
on the arguments it received from wpkg-gp. It works now.

Christian
Hi,
Post by Nils Thiele
[...]
Post by h***@horiba.com