[wpkg-users] WPKG-GP Mod v0.17.12 - Query Function
Nils Thiele
2016-09-14 13:14:34 UTC
Hey,

i just uploaded a new version of my wpkg-gp modification:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases/tag/v0.17.12

I implemented a wpkg query function which displays pending task for the
synchronized system.

This will be integrated in next version of my Client which i hope to be
able to release later this week but you can test this with
"wpkgpipeclient.exe Query"allready.

Please read the full changelog for more information and i hope someone
else can test this to see how this is working in other environments.

Best Regards,

Nils Thiele
--
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg

Carlos R. Pasqualini
2016-09-14 18:00:24 UTC
Post by Nils Thiele
Hey,
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases/tag/v0.17.12
I implemented a wpkg query function which displays pending task for the
synchronized system.
This will be integrated in next version of my Client which i hope to be
able to release later this week but you can test this with
"wpkgpipeclient.exe Query"allready.
Please read the full changelog for more information and i hope someone
else can test this to see how this is working in other environments.
Best Regards,
Nils Thiele
Nils

Is this wpkg-gp working on startup with windows 10 as it was with
windows 7?
Is there any steps needed to get it working on Windows 10?

Thanks!

Charly

2016-09-14 21:05:40 UTC
Hey Carlos,
Yes wpkg-gp official and my mod should work on windows 10 at bootup.
But i have to add that i havent tested it on 10 at boot up in the last
month.
I also have to add that me myself had problems with wpkg-gp at bootup
on 10 with a system that was upgraded from windows7, but a clean
install of windows (updated to latest version, one month ago) fixed
this and worked fine with wpkg-gp.

My modificatio doesn't change anything regarding the bootup execution
method. The Group Policy Extension Part (which does the execution a
startup) is coded in c++ and is out of my league.
Im just a beginner python dev at this moment ;)

Greetings,
Nils
Post by Carlos R. Pasqualini
Post by Nils Thiele
Hey,
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases/tag/v0.17.12
I implemented a wpkg query function which displays pending task for the
synchronized system.
This will be integrated in next version of my Client which i hope to be
able to release later this week but you can test this with
"wpkgpipeclient.exe Query"allready.
Please read the full changelog for more information and i hope someone
else can test this to see how this is working in other environments.
Best Regards,
Nils Thiele
Nils
Is this wpkg-gp working on startup with windows 10 as it was with
windows 7?
Is there any steps needed to get it working on Windows 10?
Thanks!
Charly
IT-Support - Fachbereich Kulturgeschichte
Universität Hamburg
Flügelbau West, R. 218
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1
D-20146 Hamburg
20146 Hamburg
Tel.: +49-40-42838-3024
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de

2016-09-15 07:26:40 UTC
Post by i***@uni-hamburg.de
I also have to add that me myself had problems with wpkg-gp at bootup
on 10 with a system that was upgraded from windows7, but a clean
install of windows (updated to latest version, one month ago) fixed
this and worked fine with wpkg-gp.
My modificatio doesn't change anything regarding the bootup execution
method. The Group Policy Extension Part (which does the execution a
startup) is coded in c++ and is out of my league.
Im just a beginner python dev at this moment ;)
I'm also having problems on a very few systems with wpkg-gp on win10.
Turns out that on those systems windows will ignore the GP-Settings for
synchronous GPEs and ignore them. This means WPKGGPs GPE (and any others,
e.g. scripts) run on those systems only every 10th boot (when win10
suddenly decides to not ignore GPEs). I couldn't figure out why... so
having an additional option for the user to start WPKG via GUI is
extremely helpful in those cases.

(see https://groups.google.com/d/topic/wpkg-gp/JMjQd4Cmx1E/discussion)

But this doesn't look like a specific wpkg-gp problem, but a windows
one...

Best Regards

Heiko
Nils Thiele
2016-09-23 07:58:54 UTC
Hey,

I have implemented both ideas in the client to keep the wpkg-gp output
as raw as possible so no additional configuring is necessary.

You can filter what the WPKG-GP Client displays (tasks and packages
individually).

But if there is demand from someone else to filter this on wpkg-gp level
it would be much work to implement it.

Best Regards,

Nils
Hello Nils,
I like this new change WPKG-GP is going to very much... two little
* Ability to configure the query option... this because our
environment has remove disabled and ignores them - so the new Query
function would display quite a few "obsolete" packages "about" to be
removed.
(this is because WPKG lacks the ability to rename or deprecate package
IDs and our installation is pretty old...)
* Ability to filter specific package names from being displayed at all.
-> we have one package (called "reporterrors") that is called with
"execute=change" - it basically just grabs the wpkg logs and uploads
it. But of course it would also be displayed on any notification - so
i'd like to filter it.
For the first problem i'm just about looking into the code - i guess
that change can be made without python skills :)
For the second I dunno...
Best Regards
Heiko
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de