[wpkg-users] Thunderbird and Lightning: Problems after upgrading to new version
Holger Kröber
2016-01-13 10:32:04 UTC
Hello,

when i deployed the first version of thunderbird that included the
lightning addon, a couple of
users experienced strange problems (the help entry in the menu was
missing, mails in the inbox not visible, lightning not working).
Luckily, only a few users have had this issue. My solution:

* start thunderbird in safe mode
* uninstall ligthning, close thunderbird
* start thunderbird (normal mode) and install the addon with the addon
manager

I thougt that the problem was gone, but with the latest release (38.5.1)
it happened again.

I donÂŽt think that wpkg is the culprit :)
I just want to know if others had the same problems and
maybe they found a solution to avoid this problem in the future (e.g.
with a logon script in the context of the user that
deletes / copies files in the thunderbird profile etc.).

Regards,
Holger
Marco Gaiarin
2016-01-13 10:53:54 UTC
Mandi! Holger Kröber
In chel di` si favelave...
I thougt that the problem was gone, but with the latest release (38.5.1) it
happened again.
Noooo.... it happned again?! ;(
I just want to know if others had the same problems and
No, because i completely remove the ''bundled'' lightning addon, and
install instead a ''system wide'' one, obviously by WPKG:

<install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\WPKG\Thunderbird Setup 38.5.1.exe" /INI="%WPKGROOT%\packages\thunderbird.ini"' />
<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c if exist "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\distribution\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}" rd /q /s "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\distribution\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}"' />

the 'distribution' folder mean the, at first start, the extensions get
installed/upraded IN THE USER EXTENSION FOLDER, so user by user.

I prefer to unpack extensions to system wide folder:

<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c if not exist "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}" md "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}"' />
<install include="upgrade" />
<upgrade cmd='%WPKGROOT%\tools\unzip -oqq "%SOFTWARE%\WPKG\lightning-4.0.4.1.xpi" -d "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}"'/>

so user profile get not clobbered, and i can fine-grain control
upgrades.
--
dott. Marco Gaiarin GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia'' http://www.sv.lnf.it/

http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/25/index.php/component/k2/item/123
Stefan Pendl
2016-01-13 16:23:40 UTC
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Holger Kröber
In chel di` si favelave...
I thougt that the problem was gone, but with the latest release (38.5.1) it
happened again.
Noooo.... it happned again?! ;(
I just want to know if others had the same problems and
No, because i completely remove the ''bundled'' lightning addon, and
Since Thunderbird now includes Lightning, installing it separately
doesn't make any sense.

When Thunderbird is shipping with Lightning, Lightning will already be
installed globally, there is nothing to take care for.

Never had any issues with Thunderbird or Lightning, I just had to remove
the Lightning package after it was sipping with Thunderbird.
--
*Stefan P.*

Top-posting:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Marco Gaiarin
2016-01-13 17:06:14 UTC
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Stefan Pendl
Since Thunderbird now includes Lightning, installing it separately
doesn't make any sense.
When Thunderbird is shipping with Lightning, Lightning will already
be installed globally, there is nothing to take care for.
NO. It is true that TB now include Lightning, but as ''distribution
extensions'' (eg in %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
Thunderbird\distribution\extensions\) and not as ''system'' one (eg, in
%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Thunderbird\extensions\).

There's a big difference!!!
Post by Stefan Pendl
Never had any issues with Thunderbird or Lightning, I just had to
remove the Lightning package after it was sipping with Thunderbird.
Seems random trouble. Also i've never hit that, but there's some bugs
opened and some posts on thunderbird enterprise list.

Seems correlated only on ''distribution'' way of installing extension.

Kris Lou
2016-01-13 17:50:18 UTC
I'd have to agree with Marco on this one.

When installed to "distributions/extensions", the extensions are then
directly copied to the user profile upon launch
(/%Appdata%/Tbird/profiles/xx/extensions), which is essentially the same as
the local user manually installing it. If I recall, those problems
reported on tb-enterprise were directly related to this system-copy process
overwriting the user's extensions.

Another thing to consider is that "distributions/extensions" went away on
FF40, so we don't know if TB will still respect this path if/when the next
ESR is rebased.

So, it's probably best to simply copy the extension from
"distribution/extensions" to "extensions" as part of the install process --
especially since 38.5.1 shipped with Lightning 4.0.5.1, which wasn't
released as standalone.

More reading, that I'm sure you've already seen:

https://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/09/integrating-add-ons-into-firefox/
https://mike.kaply.com/2015/05/19/distributionbundles-directory-gone-in-firefox-40/

And just for kicks ... I uninstalled my copy of Lightning 4.0.5.1 from TB
38.5.1 via Add-ons Manager, which removed the extension from %APPDATA%.
This then reverted to my older (standalone-system) installation of
Lightning 4.0.4.1, which resides in %ProgramFiles%/Mozilla
Thunderbird/extensions. Obviously, I also have some things to fix.

Kris Lou
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
Holger Kröber
2016-01-15 13:33:57 UTC
Hello,

please correct me if i am wrong:
one solution for this problem is to delete the lightning addon in the
distribution folder after upgrading TB, like Marco suggested:

<install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c if exist "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\distribution\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}" rd /q /s "%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla Thunderbird\distribution\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}"' />

You then don´t have to provide Lightning in the extensions folder
("%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla
Thunderbird\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}"'/>).
It is just an option, right? The user can upgrade to a newer version of
Lightning (if available) by himself.

Regards,
Holger
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
Marco Gaiarin
2016-01-15 13:49:42 UTC
Mandi! Holger Kröber
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Holger Kröber
You then don´t have to provide Lightning in the extensions folder
("%ProgramFiles32%\Mozilla
Thunderbird\extensions\{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}"'/>).
It is just an option, right? The user can upgrade to a newer version
of Lightning (if available) by himself.
AFAIK yes.

Only a doubt, if Mozilla will remove lighting from extensions
avaliable, distributing it only via bundle.

But i think it is not the case, now...

Stefan Pendl
2016-01-17 10:37:21 UTC
Post by Holger Kröber
Hello,
one solution for this problem is to delete the lightning addon in the
I don't remove Lightning after installing Thunderbird.

When I installed the first Thunderbird release containing Lightning, I
also removed the separate Lightning distribution package, since that is
no longer needed.

I now only distribute Thunderbird with its included Lightning package,
that's all.

It doesn't make any sense to distribute something separately that is
already included and maintained through the main installation ;-)
--
*Stefan P.*

Top-posting:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Marco Gaiarin
2016-01-18 09:33:45 UTC
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Stefan Pendl
It doesn't make any sense to distribute something separately that is
already included and maintained through the main installation ;-)
For me, it maike sense at least for one reason: you have finer control
on lightning revision, be able also to downgrade if needed.

Aniway, «de gustibus non est disputandum». ;-)

Stefan Pendl
2016-01-19 08:42:29 UTC
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Stefan Pendl
It doesn't make any sense to distribute something separately that is
already included and maintained through the main installation ;-)
For me, it maike sense at least for one reason: you have finer control
on lightning revision, be able also to downgrade if needed.
Aniway, «de gustibus non est disputandum». ;-)
This would be like distributing Outlook 2013 and replacing the calendar
feature by the one of Outlook 2010 or similar.

The Thunderbird release already includes the correct Lightning release
that has been sufficiently tested with it or am I wrong?

For me it just adds more complexity to Thunderbird if I would split it
into two packages once more, I was released that they finally merged the
two into one.
--
*Stefan P.*

Top-posting:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Holger Kröber
2016-01-19 10:06:07 UTC
Hello,
Post by Stefan Pendl
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Stefan Pendl
It doesn't make any sense to distribute something separately that is
already included and maintained through the main installation ;-)
For me, it maike sense at least for one reason: you have finer control
on lightning revision, be able also to downgrade if needed.
Aniway, «de gustibus non est disputandum». ;-)
This would be like distributing Outlook 2013 and replacing the
calendar feature by the one of Outlook 2010 or similar.
The Thunderbird release already includes the correct Lightning release
that has been sufficiently tested with it or am I wrong?
This is what i was hoping for, but it is obviously not the case - or i
wouldn´t have started this thread. There are problems sometimes.
So i appreciate Marco´s suggestions. On the next deployment i will test
if it is helpful to delete the bundled lightning after deployment - at
least on some computers.

Regards,
Holger
Jáder Marasca
2016-01-25 22:42:47 UTC
I have a different problem related to new Lightning addon include on TB.
One user answerd DISCARD to that question about to KEEP new Lightning
extension an now I cannot find a way to reinstall it.
I've removed TB from machine, restarted an nothing... Lightning extension
(now part of TB) is not visible.

Any tips ?
Post by Holger Kröber
Hello,
Post by Stefan Pendl
Post by Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Stefan Pendl
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Stefan Pendl
already included and maintained through the main installation ;-)
For me, it maike sense at least for one reason: you have finer control
on lightning revision, be able also to downgrade if needed.
Aniway, «de gustibus non est disputandum». ;-)
This would be like distributing Outlook 2013 and replacing the calendar
feature by the one of Outlook 2010 or similar.
The Thunderbird release already includes the correct Lightning release
that has been sufficiently tested with it or am I wrong?
This is what i was hoping for, but it is obviously not the case - or i
wouldnÂŽt have started this thread. There are problems sometimes.
So i appreciate MarcoÂŽs suggestions. On the next deployment i will test if
Marco Gaiarin
2016-01-26 17:43:01 UTC
Mandi! Jáder Marasca
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Jáder Marasca
I have a different problem related to new Lightning addon include on TB.
One user answerd DISCARD to that question about to KEEP new Lightning extension
an now I cannot find a way to reinstall it.
I've removed TB from machine, restarted an nothing... Lightning extension (now
part of TB) is not visible.
I think is a user preference. Try to look at:

mail.calendar-integration.opt-out

have to be set to 'false'.

Jáder Marasca
2016-01-28 13:43:25 UTC
Thanks by tip.
I verify this key: itÂŽs already set to FALSE.
Any other to check ?

Regards

Jáder
Mandi! Jáder Marasca
Post by Jáder Marasca
an now I cannot find a way to reinstall it.
I've removed TB from machine, restarted an nothing... Lightning
extension (now
part of TB) is not visible.
Marco Gaiarin
2016-01-28 13:47:17 UTC
Mandi! Jáder Marasca
In chel di` si favelave...
Post by Jáder Marasca
Any other to check ?
Sorry, no. Try to subscribe to tb-enterprise list:

and ask here...