[wpkg-users] ghostware?
Ian Wright
2017-03-29 10:38:30 UTC
HiJust a query really. Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list.Is WPKG a dead project now. I notice there hasn't been a release since 2014.Has it entered the realm of ghostware, and if it has, shouldn't the website say so?

Cheers
Ian
Rainer Meier
2017-03-29 18:14:37 UTC
Hi Ian
Post by Ian Wright
Hi
Just a query really. Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list.
Is WPKG a dead project now. I notice there hasn't been a release since 2014.
Has it entered the realm of ghostware, and if it has, shouldn't the
website say so?
Mature software does not need updates every day.
Have a look at this mailing list. There are still users and supporters
here (including me). The WPKG "server" componnent wpkg.js is quite
feature-complete for now and works pretty well in most situations.
Currently there are no critical bugs known.

So no, the project is not dead but is currently in maintenance mode as
larger feature request implementations would require some major rewrite
which is currently on-hold due to limited resource. The existing
components work as expected and help is provided in mailing lists.

Best regards,
Rainer
2017-03-30 07:30:35 UTC
Post by Rainer Meier
Post by Ian Wright
Hi
Just a query really. Sorry if this is the wrong mailing list.
Is WPKG a dead project now. I notice there hasn't been a release since 2014.
Has it entered the realm of ghostware, and if it has, shouldn't the
website say so?
Mature software does not need updates every day.
Have a look at this mailing list. There are still users and supporters
here (including me). The WPKG "server" componnent wpkg.js is quite
feature-complete for now and works pretty well in most situations.
Currently there are no critical bugs known.
So no, the project is not dead but is currently in maintenance mode as
larger feature request implementations would require some major rewrite
which is currently on-hold due to limited resource. The existing
components work as expected and help is provided in mailing lists.
Hello Rainer,

you're right. wpkg.js is pretty complete and the lackings are minor (i'd
have some ideas for new features though). What WPKG is desperately missing
is steady support on the Front-End.

The "official" WPKG client is practically dead, only working properly on
XP (by design) and it's successor, WPKG-GP - while being a tremendously
good idea and product - does have unsolved problems on Win10 that make
it's main working mode (GPE) unreliable. With Nils' GUI-Addition there's a
nice workaround (and finally a GUI).

I sincerely hope that this fork will get some more love - i do like it,
but my non-programmer love will probably not be that useful :)

Best Regards
Heiko
Rainer Meier
2017-03-30 08:47:13 UTC
Hi Heiko,
you're right. wpkg.js is pretty complete and the lackings are minor (i'd have
some ideas for new features though). What WPKG is desperately missing is steady
support on the Front-End.
Yes, some ideas are around for sure. I have some on my list too. But on one hand
resources are limited and on the other hande a re-write and adding some features
would require substantial effort while the existing solution works in almost all
use-cases. As a result the demand of putting substantial errort into rework is
pretty low.
The "official" WPKG client is practically dead, only working properly on XP (by
design) and it's successor, WPKG-GP - while being a tremendously good idea and
product - does have unsolved problems on Win10 that make it's main working mode
(GPE) unreliable. With Nils' GUI-Addition there's a nice workaround (and finally
a GUI).
This is a known issue for sure. However I am personally still use WPKG-client on
Windows 10 without any issues. Without logon delay of course. But running as a
delayed startup service and adding a very simple task scheduler task which just
launches the service on normal shutdown/startup even if fast-statup is enabled.
This works pretty reliable for me.

best regards,
Rainer
Nils Thiele
2017-03-31 08:23:32 UTC

What unresolved issues do you have with the gpe execution on windows 10?

At least with fastboot disabled (we have SSDs in all current systems) it
works fine on all system we have shipped so far (Clean install,
Enterprise LTSB 2016 and Education).
I would love to be able to improve the boot execution method of wpkg-gp
but since its developed in c++ its out of my league.

Any other improvement ideas or wishes for the wpkg-gp background
service or the client are appreciated and i would try to implement them.
I hope to be able to continue active development on both projects in the
next month, but besides a better notification gui for the client and
fixing the makemsi.exe dependencies i have nothing new on my agenda. the
lastest version of my wpkg-gp mod is working fine so far without any
problems in our environment and i started using it in production since
the beginning of the year. Only improvement planned is to reduce the
eventlog output produced by the update query.

Is there a place on the wiki for a wpkg.js wishlist for future
improvements? Maybe we should start collecting those so in case somebody
continues development.

Best Regards,
Nils
Post by Ian Wright
Post by Rainer Meier
Post by Ian Wright
[...]
IT-Support - Fachbereich 09 Kulturgeschichte und Kulturkunde
Universität Hamburg
Flügelbau West, R. 204
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1
D-20146 Hamburg
Tel.: +49-40-42838-3024
Email: ***@uni-hamburg.de
Carlos R. Pasqualini
2017-04-07 13:02:47 UTC
Post by Nils Thiele
Hi,
What unresolved issues do you have with the gpe execution on windows 10?
At least with fastboot disabled (we have SSDs in all current systems)
it works fine on all system we have shipped so far (Clean install,
Enterprise LTSB 2016 and Education).
I would love to be able to improve the boot execution method of
wpkg-gp but since its developed in c++ its out of my league.
Hi Nils!

did I miss something?

I have wpkg-gp 0.17.16 in a non active directory environment, Windows 10
Professional, with a public samba share that works OK when I run wpkg-js
from cscript.exe but wpkg-gp is unable to find the share on startup.

Same environment worked great for years... with Windows 7 since wpkg-gp
0.15 (it was hosted on googlecode at that time). Right now I have few
Windows 7 machines and they are working good, but not even one Windows
10. Right now I'm going from time to time to each machine and mannually
running a script for upgrading.

I have not been able to get a working environment since windows 10 had
arrived; I was designing an Active Directory environment to this network
as a way to run wpkg-gp from group policy, but it would be really great
to have it running without Active Directory using wpkg-gp on startup or
on shutdown.

May be I'm not using the latest binary as I cannot see a good place to
go and 'download the latest binary

not in https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/
not in https://github.com/cleitet/wpkg-gp/wiki
and not in https://wpkg.org/WPKG-GP

I think that would help to add some info somewere on where is the latest
version of wpkg-gp and where to report issues. There is not an 'official
github repo' for the wpkg-gp project, may be it would be a good idea to
have one with write access for a few devs.

Honestly, I thought in line with the things expressed by Heiko, that
there was some pending work on wpkg-gp to be reliable on Windows 10.

Another 'may be': may be I'm doing something wrong and it is only my
fault :-)

Just in case my wpkg-gp.ini is:

(removing comments and white lines)
grep -v ^# Wpkg-gp.ini|grep -v -e '^[[:space:]]*$'

[WpkgConfig]
EnableViaLGP = 1
IgnoreGroupPolicy = 0
DisableAtBootUp = 0
WpkgCommand =\\someservername\wpkg\wpkg.js
WpkgVerbosity = 3
WpkgNetworkUsername =
WpkgNetworkPassword =
WpkgMaxReboots = 3
WpkgRebootPolicy = force
WpkgExecuteByNonAdmins = 1
WpkgExecuteByLocalUsers = 1
WpkgActivityIndicator = 1
TestConnectionHost = someservername
TestConnectionPort = 445
TestConnectionTries = 8
TestConnectionSleepBeforeRetry = 5
ConnectionTries = 10
ConnectionSleepBeforeRetry = 5
[EnvironmentVariables]

Besides all of this, a big thanks to all for this excellent work!

Best regards

Carlos Pasqualini

Nils Thiele
2017-04-11 08:12:37 UTC
Post by Carlos R. Pasqualini
Post by Nils Thiele
Hi,
[...]
Hi Carlos,

How does the your Login name look like for the samba share? do you
specify the workgroup? or is it really completely public without login?

My setup:

WpkgNetworkUsername = WORKGROUP\wpkg

The rest looks identical to our config file.
I am using a basic ubuntu server with just a samba share as well, no AD.

The only difference is that we are using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and not
pro, but i think i tested it with pro as well (atleast on one or two
machines) before we got access to the ltsb release.
Only problem i had with windows 10 was when i upgraded from windows 7 to
windows 10 without a clean install. Then the gpe extension would not
execute at all and i could not figure out what was causing it, but a
fresh install fixed it.
And i should add as well that we are using x64 only but this should be
quite common and fastboot is disabled on all devices.

You can find the latest release of my wpkg-gp mod and official releases
here:

https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9Eadi-crzpOVEtTM01aYm5YNm8

Since i didn't change anything that should influence boot execution in
my mod, both should work the same.

I thought this was the official repo https://github.com/cleitet/wpkg-gp
since the shutdown of google code?

Best Regards,

Nils

Carlos R. Pasqualini
2017-04-11 19:02:29 UTC
Post by Nils Thiele
Post by Carlos R. Pasqualini
Post by Nils Thiele
Hi,
[...]
Yes, we have a public repo, without login.
Post by Nils Thiele
WpkgNetworkUsername = WORKGROUP\wpkg
The rest looks identical to our config file.
I am using a basic ubuntu server with just a samba share as well, no AD.
I will try adding a username to see if there is any difference.
Post by Nils Thiele
The only difference is that we are using Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and not
pro, but i think i tested it with pro as well (atleast on one or two
machines) before we got access to the ltsb release.
Only problem i had with windows 10 was when i upgraded from windows 7 to
windows 10 without a clean install. Then the gpe extension would not
execute at all and i could not figure out what was causing it, but a
fresh install fixed it.
mmm, this looks interesting to investigate.
I will try with fresh installs on a few upgraded machines and see of
there are any difference.
But some machines that came with Windows 10 had no difference.
Post by Nils Thiele
And i should add as well that we are using x64 only but this should be
quite common and fastboot is disabled on all devices.
Since most of our machines have been upgraded to windows 10, we have a
mix here about versions and hardware, but all seems to react the same to
the change from Windows 7 to 10.
Post by Nils Thiele
You can find the latest release of my wpkg-gp mod and official releases
https://github.com/sonicnkt/wpkg-gp/releases
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9Eadi-crzpOVEtTM01aYm5YNm8
I did not understand why I cannot find the /release link on github
Post by Nils Thiele
Since i didn't change anything that should influence boot execution in
my mod, both should work the same.
I thought this was the official repo https://github.com/cleitet/wpkg-gp
since the shutdown of google code?
Thanks!